You may have been wondering how author's show their profile picture in Google search results, but the secrete behind it will be revealed in this tutorial. As a content creator, it is now important that you claim your content in search results using Arthorship markup, due to the new system Google will be introducing in any moment from now, in ranking content according to their author AuthorRank.
If you are using Google+ profile on your blog, your profile picture will appear just fine in search results, because the profile come with Authorship snippet by default.
1. The first step in setting up Authorship is to add any any social widgets containing Google+ button on your blog sidebar or footer and including the rel="author" tag to the widget code. Now add a your Google+ profile link using the following code:
Replace Google+ Profile URL with the url of your Google plus profile link. While the rel="author" tag will tell Google bot that you are the real author of the blog.
2. You will also need to include the rel="me" tag in your about us page or author bio profile, which is so important especially when you invest in guest blogging.
Now use the following code to claim your content in SERP.
It is important that you use rel="me" when you submit a bio to be published elsewhere, hyperlink your name to your Google+ profile, and use the rel="me" tag, so Google recognizes that it’s you, but doesn’t think you are the real owner of the blog.
The Authorship markup will look like this:
3. Now go to your Google+ profile page and click on the Edit Profile button. scroll down and edit "Other profiles", "Contributor to" and "Links" area.
- In Other profile section, enter your blog homepage url, and you can also link to your other social network profile like facebook, twitter etc.
- Enter your blog homepage under the Contributor to and Links sections
Make sure you upload a nice picture of yourself with high resolution of atleast 250×250 pixel on your Google+ account.
- Now go to http://profiles.google.com/me/plusones, click on Edit profile button at the top of the page. Mark/check Show this tab on my page checkbox, and click on the Save button. Also remember to click the Done editing button also.
To check if your Authorship have been verified, simply use the Google rich snippet testing tool to check how your profile will appear in search result and that you are verified.
The above screenshot is exactly how your profile should appear after you have be verified, and note that this may not take effect immediately, as Google robots will need to re-crawl your blog before you start seeing your profile picture in search results, but it shouldn't exceed 2days hopefully. You can also ping the search engine robot that your about us or bio page have been updated by visiting http://blogsearch.google.com/ping.
Feel free to leave any queries/suggestions, and share this post with your friends/followers.
*Please confirm the email sent to your inbox after clicking "Sign Up!".